“This book would be a bargain at ten times its price! If you are writing iPhone software, it will save you weeks of development time. Erica has included dozens of crisp and clear examples illustrating essential iPhone development techniques and many others that show special effects going way beyond Apple’s official documentation.”
—Tim Burks, iPhone Software Developer, TootSweet Software
“Erica Sadun’s technical expertise lives up to the Addison-Wesley name. The iPhone Developer’s Cookbook is a comprehensive walkthrough of iPhone development that will help anyone out, from beginners to more experienced developers. Code samples and screenshots help punctuate the numerous tips and tricks in this book.”
—Jacqui Cheng, Associate Editor, Ars Technica
“We make our living writing this stuff and yet I am humbled by Erica’s command of her subject matter and the way she presents the material: pleasantly informal, then very appropriately detailed technically. This is a going to be the Petzold book for iPhone developers.”
—Daniel Pasco, Lead Developer and CEO, Black Pixel Luminance
“The iPhone Developer’s Cookbook: Building Applications with the iPhone SDK should be the first resource for the beginning iPhone programmer, and is the best supplemental material to Apple’s own documentation.”
—Alex C. Schaefer, Lead Programmer, ApolloIM, iPhone Application Development Specialist, MeLLmo, Inc
“Erica’s book is a truly great resource for Cocoa Touch developers. This book goes far beyond the documentation on Apple’s Web site, and she includes methods that give the developer a deeper understanding of the iPhone OS, by letting them glimpse at what’s going on behind the scenes on this incredible mobile platform.”
—John Zorko, Sr. Software Engineer, Mobile Devices
A full-color guide to the iPhone, including the new iPhone 3G S
With its new 3G S model, the iPhone is definitely the must-have mobile device. This fully updated guide covers all the cool features of the fastest iPhone ever, including the Spotlight search feature, voice control, and video camera capability.
iPhone For Dummies, 3rd Edition also covers the basics of using the multitouch interface, setting up iTunes, browsing the Internet, sending and receiving e-mail, and more.
- The iPhone 3G S is the fastest and most powerful iPhone yet, with a host of new features
- Learn to use landscape mode for e-mail, texting, and shooting widescreen video
- See how to copy or cut and paste text, video, photos, and Web content from one app to another
- Find out how to make calls, play music, or create new playlists using voice control
- Locate anything on your iPhone with Spotlight, whether in your calendar, contacts, e-mail, iPod, apps, or even saved Web clips
- Discover how to create and send messages that include text, video, voice memos, map locations, and more
Covering all the features of the much-anticipated iPhone 3G S, iPhone For Dummies, 3rd Edition helps you get every bit of functionality your iPhone offers.
With iPhone SDK Programming, developers have the expert guidance they need to begin building native applications for Apple’s new iPhone 3G as well as the iPod touch. Inside, veteran mobile developer and Bell Labs scientist Maher Ali begins with a foundational introduction to Objective C and Cocoa programming, and then guides you through the building programs with Apple’s iPhone SDK.
iPhone SDK Programming covers a wide range of topics, including:
- The Objective-C programming language
- Cocoa Touch
- Building advanced mobile user interfaces
- Core Animation and Quartz 2D
- Model-View-Controller (MVC) designs
- Table Views File management
- Parsing XML documents using SAX and DOM
- Working with Google Maps API
- Consuming REST Web Services
- Building advanced location-based applications
- Developing database applications using the SQLite engine
- Building Multimedia applications
- Making use of the camera and video Working with the accelerometer
- Apple launched the App Store for iPhone applications in July 08 and has already delivered more than 300 million downloads of more than 10,000 applications
- iPhone apps have literally made millionaires of developers overnight; Steve Jobs recently noted that he had never seen any business like it in his experience
About the book
Essential Skills–Made Easy!
Now you can create your own iPhone and iPod touch applications in no time. iPhone SDK Programming: A Beginner’s Guide shows you how to use Cocoa Touch, the Objective-C programming language, and the Xcode development tools. This hands-on guide features several self-contained projects, with the corresponding Xcode available for download and modification. By the end of the book you’ll be able to build, test, and debug custom iPhone and iPod touch applications with ease.
Designed for Easy Learning
Key Skills & Concepts–Chapter-opening lists of specific skills covered in the chapter
Ask the Expert–Q&A sections filled with bonus information and helpful tips
Try This–Hands-on exercises that show you how to apply your skills
Notes–Extra information related to the topic being covered
- Tips–Helpful reminders or alternate ways of doing things
- Cautions–Errors and pitfalls to avoid
- Annotated Syntax–Example code with commentary that describes the programming techniques being illustrated